Tuesday 8 March 2016

The Spring Edit

As I was scanning the new collections of my favourite high street brands, I couldn't help but notice the same trends popping up again and again. So, I decided to dedicate a post to all my favourite high street styles currently in store.

Feminine Frills
Chemise liseré | MANGOImage 1 of ASOS Frill Front Mini Shirt Dress

Feminine without being over-the-top, this trend is both girly and modern. This Spring there's an array of blouses with subtle collar frills and dresses with pretty frilled panels.

Night Wear as Day Wear
Robe empiècements dentelle | MANGOImage 4 of GUIPURE LACE TOP from Zara

Certainly a much more racy trend yet nonetheless prominent on this season's catwalk is lingerie as day wear. Camisoles and dresses (basically negligées) of sheer fabric and lace make this trend rather hard to pull off. This trend reminds me of the Friends episode when Rachel is caught in her negligée at her boyfriend's house and tries to convince his parents it's a real dress. "I like her, she seems smart." If Jennifer Aniston couldn't do it, maybe I'll just stay clear of this one.

Seventies
I'm still undecided about how I feel about this trend but it's certainly getting harder and harder to avoid. I am, however, a big fan of the bohemian shape and loose structure of 70s fashion which cater to all body types.
Image 4 of OPEN BACK TOP from Zara Robe plissée | MANGO


I have to admit I find some of the prints slightly garish and outdated. Nevertheless, here are some 70s styles that don't make me wince (too much).

Image 1 of ASOS Ditsy Floral Printed Skater DressImage 2 of CONTRAST PRINT TUNIC from Zara

If kaleidoscopic prints and patterns aren't your thing either then these folk print pieces might be more up your street.

Image 3 of ASOS Premium Embroidered Pretty Folk Skater DressImage 1 of FOLK PATTERN TOP from Zara

Mules
Image 1 of ASOS TALL ORDER Mule SandalsImage 1 of Truffle Collection Harp Heeled Mules



















These shoes are certainly not to everyone's taste but for me, a big lover of chunky footwear, I am all over these like they are going out of fashion (which they most likely will be very soon).

The Skinny Mom
Image 1 of ASOS Farleigh High Waist Slim Mom Jeans In Washed Black













Image 1 of ASOS Farleigh High Waist Slim Mom Jeans in Myth Wash With Rips

Like everything in fashion there's always a skinny alternative. I like the orginal Mom Jeans for stylish laid back comfort but I also like this version which is a little more figure hugging (in all the right places of course). The best part about these jeans is their versatility. Wear during the day with trainers and a t-shirt then add heels and a leather jacket for an evening look.

Bold Stripes
Top empiècement dentelle | MANGOImage 2 of CROPPED FLOWING TROUSERS from Zara

This season's stripes aren't limited to the classic Breton variety. See stripes in bold hues like mustard and blue as well as in an assortment of shapes, most notably wide culottes.

Embroidery
Robe brodée perles | MANGOImage 3 of EMBROIDERED BOMBER-STYLE JACKET from Zara

Embroidered dresses and skirts in thick, heavy fabric are a modern twist on the traditional bohemian look of previous years. Embroidered silk bombers are absolutely everywhere at the moment as well. I love this trend and think they work best worn over a sophisticated outfit as a stark contrast.


No comments:

Post a Comment